It is difficult to write about someone who hasn’t been nice to you. If 2011 was a person, I’d unfriend him on Facebook. If it were a movie, it’d be like Phir Herapheri, the worst possible sequel to something amazing. Since I have the memory of a demented caterpillar, I’d resort to Facebook timeline to recount the events of 2011, one accident at a time.
In January, I added 30 friends on Facebook. Not that this makes any difference but I’d like to see how many ‘friends’ I am making on a monthly basis. Probably put that in an excel sheet and make a few graphs out of it. You know, just in case I lose my job and have to be a Social Media Evanderholyfieldist.
On the first day of 2011, we were so frustrated thanks to thwarted party plans from the previous night(and crazy ass drunkards returning from Besant Nagar beach at midnight) that we packed our bags and left for Pondicherry to salvage what was left of ‘Happy New Year’. This unconventional trip didn’t involve a drop of alcohol and featured a satvik dinner. That blog post also never happened.
In the same month, my cellphone pulled a KLPD on me. What kind of UI designer puts a ‘Delete All Messages’ right next to a ‘Delete Message’ link? I also lost some 750+ songs when iTunes decided to sync my iPod into oblivion.
The saving grace for January was a back-to-back show of Tangled and Dhobhi Ghat in a day. That and 26th January falling on a Wednesday.
– Added 48 friends on Facebook
– Liked ‘Ludo’ on Facebook
– Tantanoo.com was launched:
This was probably the best thing to have happened in 2011. Followed closely by a series of awful weekends(something that was a trending topic in my life all year) interspersed with the occasional pj.
Yin-Yangness happened too.
– Added 21 friends on Facebook
– Liked ‘Anushka Sharma’ on Facebook(something that I regret now)
– Finished an year at work
(This mission has been partially accomplished. Tantanoo.com is now blocked at work under ‘Sex’)
Probably the most famous post on Tantanoo.com for a while, Tantanoo goes to T-Nagar was an emotional rendition of a 7+ hours pilgrimage to the holy land of T. Nagar. In the same month, I developed this fascination for Philosoraptors.
A trip to home happened. Left me poorer by ten thousand rupees.
The unthinkable happened.
The thinkable happened too.
and it was all back to square-one.
The birth month always turns out to be the most confusing month. The mind wants to party, the soul wants gifts and the wallet wants some rest. But all you end up doing is replying to the numerous Facebook wall posts from your ‘Birthday Friends’. To add to that list I added another 35 Friends on Facebook.
– Liked ‘Pepsodent’ (I still don’t remember why, must be a free-toothpaste giveaway)
– Changed my display picture because everyone wanted me to bleed blue.
– I also started raging thanks to rage rage fuelled by @tambramrage.
– Added 19 friends:
– Got obsessed with Osama’s death for some time.
– Sold my soul for a T-shirt.
– Added 33 friends on Facebook
– Finished an year in Chennai. Celebrated it in a very #amit manner.
– Didn’t like X-Men First Class. The auto-ride to the movie was funner.
July is often the most fucked up month of the year. There are hardly any holidays. It is also historically the month when you had to submit your holiday homework. It is equidistant from both New Years. I didn’t expect much from July.
– Added 37 friends.
– Liked Techcrunch on FB(thus beginning a phase where I’ll be sucked in to Giveaways)
– Attended the Jagannath Yatra in Chennai which was a very humbling experience. I hope I make it to the actual yatra in the near future.
– My tonsil rebelled and pulled an #OccupyThroat on me. 99% of my time was devoted to nursing them.
– Random things kept happening.
Added Angad Singh on Facebook, my first random addition. Haven’t regretted that decision.
Tried selling my tonsils time and again. Didn’t work.
Watched Zindagi Milegi Na Dobara and surprisingly liked it. (there, there)
Also, discovered this gem on Brangan’s blog – “Consistency is for payasam, not for paella.”
Tried using Facebook to find a cook.
LOTR Reruns continued.
and then I went off Twitter for a while and shared this on Facebook(discovered via. Angad Singh). This made its way to Twitter via. @NayakGirin and the rest is history. *blinks eyes*
In other news, Bank Balance reached new lows thanks to a laptop battery that went kaput.
Vellagiri lead to a lot of Facebooking too.
– Added 27 friends on Facebook
– Had crazy fun on Facebook thanks to Sandy Chan.
– Participated in my first Techcrunch Giveaway. Soul selling procedure was almost complete.
– Flatmates kept moving in and out. Shrikant moved to CMU. Chandu(an incredibly talented young lad who is credited with designing a 5000 Rs. Laptop from scratch) moved to Bhubaneshwar. Nights at 4D lasted till the wee hours of the morning with back to back rounds of Judgement with several tea-breaks.
– Another TechCrunch giveaway. Another chance to stoop low.
Discovered two awesomemax videos. LIKEMINDBLOWINGLYAWESOME.
– Added 13 friends on Facebook. Social Media catastrophe if you may call it.
– Listened to Mahalaya for the first time after ages. Over the internet. With some delightful company on Twitter. Missed going home for Puja.
September had nothing else to offer(or so Facebook tells me). It can be summed up with this image.
– Added 27 friends on Facebook
– Liked Dewarists on Facebook(post on Dewarist later perhaps, you can read Dr. Gonzo’s post about it here.)
Tonsils were at it again.
I had totally given up on the year in October itself.
A post that was in the drafts for close to six months was released out in the wild.
By now, I had made it my life-mission to participate in every TechCrunch giveaway possible.
In October, I did something that was supposed to be done in 2010. I finally bought a DSLR. (there, there). More on this in another blog post. A credit card was acquired to execute this plan and I haven’t slept peacefully ever since.
Post-DSLR-purchase-euphoria, life returned to normalcy with a pj here and some soul-selling there.
October also marked an exodus of family from real life to Facebook. My cousins started announcing their presence on Facebook and terms like ‘I facebooked you’ made it to the drawing room of humble bengali households. (I however love this intrusion, sisters be awesome)
October was wrapped up with Ra.One.
November was probably the strangest month of the year. I started with adding 35 friends on Facebook.
Then Google Reader was killed in an accident.
Followed by another post that was in the drafts for a long time and one which lead to Tantanoo.com being blocked across offices(under ‘Sex’). This post has also taken over all my search keywords for the blog.
In November I attended my first Photowalk. Again, more on this later. Let’s just say this Photowalk thing is really, really addictive.
Then CAT 2011 happened.
which led to:
A Flickr account happened. Had to.
Then I committed Twitter suicide.
I resorted to telling the truth in Giveaways.
BodhiTree released a song for which I’d been waiting for quite some time.
Rockstar happened. Didn’t like it much though.
A lot of other things happened in November. A good friend moved from Chennai to Hyderabad. I returned to Twitter.
November ended with a photowalk.
December began on a beautiful note.
– I added 19 Friends on Facebook.
– Did a version of Kolaveri.
The only thing to look forward to was dear cousin’s wedding.
I spent most of December nursing a stiff neck(I still am) and looking a physiotherapist in Chennai(I still am). December was rounded off with a wonderful Christmas photowalk in Chennai and a New Year partay in Bangalore.
So well, that’s that. 2011 recounted in a jiffy. Even after it is gone, I still hate it. I just hope 2012 turns out be as promised. Dhamkedaar. End of the world ekdum. I’ll probably decide some new year resolutions soon. A few more blogposts are dying to see the light of the day.
Till all that happens,
And wish you a Happy New Year.
(P.S.: Read Dr. Gonzo’s post on 2011 here)0